Special Risk Cover: How Sasria can help protect your small business from riots

15th July 2021

If your business has been impacted by riots, strikes, or protest action – you might be able to lodge a claim for cover from Sasria.

Many small businesses are being affected by the civil unrest and rioting in South Africa right now. Budget Insurance recently warned that more than 6.6 million SA vehicles were uninsured and some homes were underinsured by up to 60%. 

“Because of the unpredictable and often chaotic nature of these incidents, both private and public property can suffer expensive damage,” said Ricardo Coetzee, head of Auto & General Insurance.

“It is for this reason that we encourage people to ensure that Sasria cover is included in their insurance policies so that they are covered should the matter affect them personally.”

What is Sasria?

Sasria (South African Special Risks Insurance Association) is a state-owned company and the only short-term insurer that provides insurance cover against “special risks”. 

Special risks include a number of events such as civil commotion, public disorder, strikes, or riots.

How do you get this kind of cover?

Sasria is only available via a broker or any short-term insurance company. It can either be automatically included in your policy (home, business, or car), or be an opt-in service. 

To find out, contact your broker or insurer, and ask for more information about your policy.

Will I get paid out?

In 2019, Sasria paid out R991 million in claims. Read more about whether Sasria will be paying out claims related to the current unrest in this article: click here

Who does Sasria cover?

Sasria may provide cover to a number of potential clients from municipalities to small businesses, and tertiary institutions. Entrepreneurs are able to insure their business’ assets up to the value of R2 million. 

Sasria also covers goods in transit on South African soil – whether it travels by land, air, or sea. 

What does Sasria cover?

Sasria may provide protection against the following risks:

– Terrorism

– Public disorder

– Strikes (e.g. labour unrests, etc.)

– Riots

– Political (e.g. service delivery protests, etc.)

– Non-political (e.g. student riots, commuter agitation, etc.)

Does Sasria cover looting?

According to their FAQs, looting is not a specific Sasria “peril”, however if it occurs during an active peril which Sasria accepts liability for, the claim may be considered.

How do I get Sasria cover?

Sasria is usually included on most policies, however you can opt in and out of it. Added to an insurance policy, Sasria cover is as little as R2 for a car and less than R50 a month for several cars and household contents.

Read more about Sasria in this article: click here

Make sure to take the necessary precautions to protect your business and its assets.


This website and/or blog post is intended for general information purposes only. 

Yoco Technologies (Pty) Limited (“Yoco”)  makes every reasonable effort to ensure that all information on this website is current, accurate and complete at the date of publication. The information makes no representation or warranty of any kind, whether express or implied, including but not limited to the implied warranties of satisfactory quality, fitness for a particular purpose, non-infringement, compatibility, security and accuracy.


Neither Yoco nor any of its service providers shall be liable for any loss arising directly or indirectly from the use of, or any action taken when relying on the information contained on this website and/or blog. Nothing on this website and/or blog  constitutes an invitation, inducement or offer to engage in investment  or other financial activity, or to subscribe for or purchase shares or other securities and no warranty or representation is given as to the freedom of this website from errors, defects, viruses or other malicious programs.


Information, ideas and opinions expressed on this website should not be regarded as professional advice or our official opinion. You are strongly advised to seek professional advice from a Financial Sector Conduct Authority (“FSCA”) licensed financial advisor before taking any course of action