Data Engineer (Big Data)
South Africa (Remote)
Yoco is on a mission to help the businesses of tomorrow get started, and get paid – be a part of the team that changes financial services in Africa. Curious. Data-driven. Purposeful. Sound like you? It sounds a lot like us too.
We are an African technology company made up of over 200 team members globally. All with a bias for boldness, and a passion for simple, progressive solutions.
Founded in 2015, Yoco is now the payments provider for over 150 000 business owners and consistently processes over R1 billion in transactions each month.
The Data Engineering team is looking for an experienced Big Data Engineer to help solve low-latency/real time, distributed system challenges. You will be part of the team that develops Yoco’s modern data platform.
Yoco is operating as a distributed company with growing global talent hubs, and will accept applications from Africa, Europe, UK and the Middle East.
ROLE | WHAT YOU WILL BE DOING?
- You will be working in a Big data environment, optimising and building big data pipelines, architectures and data sets with e.g. Java, Scala, Python, Hadoop, Apache Spark and Kafka
- You will be building, deploying and supporting these big data pipelines in AWS
- You will be working with eventing concepts
- You will be building, deploying and support real-time data pipelines
- You will be responsible for data acquisition pipelines: real time and batch
- You will be responsible for maintaining a data lake: storage and compute processes
- You will partner with our platform engineering teams to design and build acquisition pipelines.
- You will work closely with our data scientists to assist with the building of data pipelines and for the provisioning of infrastructure.
IDEAL CANDIDATE | WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR?
Key requirements to perform responsibilities successfully:
- Strong experience working with distributed systems in the Big Data context
- Proven experience in a primarily backend programming language like Python, Java or Scala
- Passion about building robust and scalable solutions
- 7+ years of professional experience as a developer
- Exceptional problem-solving skills
- A proven passion for all things software (and some hardware)
- Strong ability to work independently while still being collaborative and inclusive
- Proven ability in taking a feature, task or product all the way from conception to completion and release
- Ability to build re-usable solutions that others can use to avoid re-inventing the wheel every time.
- BSc Computer Science or equivalent is encouraged (strong work experience can fill this gap)
The Yoco Formula:
The Yoco formula is a validated approach to work and a set of behaviours that create maximum value for our customers and help us grow.
Core Values - Our way of working to create value & grow
- Stay Connected
- Make Space to Explore
- Keep it Simple
- Master your Craft
Core Behaviours - How we show up, engage & treat each other
- Get to know each other personally
- Say what you think
- Be courageous and focus forward
- Don’t let ego get in the way
To support this, we have built a role-based organisation where every individual is given the space to focus and develop their innate strengths. Everyone at Yoco has the opportunity to lead a project and become a specialist, enabling flexibility, collaboration and accountability at all levels. You will be working with a diverse, motivated and skilled team who will continuously stretch you as an individual. To learn more about our culture, subscribe to Exposure Gallery
Join us on a meaningful journey at Yoco, and help enable our merchants to thrive through Open Commerce!