Data Scientist (Customer Operations)
South Africa (Remote)
Please note that as this is a remote based position, we are open to applications from candidates based throughout the UK and EMEA region.
Yoco is a FinTech company. We focus on building tools and services to help small and micro businesses get paid, run better, and grow. We believe in unlocking entrepreneurial potential anywhere, empowering people to thrive and driving our economy forward.
We strive to delight our customers. The Customer Operations team are on the frontlines, engaging directly with our merchants every day. As Yoco grows, the ways in which we serve our merchants needs to evolve alongside. Data plays a key part in this evolution, infusing processes with intelligence, identifying areas of poor experience and proactively planning for growth, rather than simply reacting to it.
Your objective will be to apply your skills and experience, in collaboration with various teams within the area, in support of building smart, scalable, delightful and data driven operations.
We are looking for a data-driven, structured, analytical thinking Data Scientist to help us unlock Yoco’s growth efforts and support in making Yoco a great place to work by unlocking and driving actionable insights and building out the data-driven decision making within the Customer Operations space.
You will report directly to the Data Lead within Customer Operations; and your role has the opportunity for collaboration across multiple teams across the company. This role is embedded within the Customer Operations area.
The Data Scientist we are looking for is a strong all rounder with practical experience in Statistics, Analytics and applied knowledge in Predictive Modelling, Forecasting and Capacity planning.
IDEAL CANDIDATE | WHAT YOU WILL BE DOING?
Yoco is growing quickly! We’d like to continuously improve the quality of our Customer Support and ensure the team is well resourced in alignment with our growth initiatives. You would assist us by building a framework for accurately assessing workforce capacity to enable efficient and optimal planning of team resources.
We care about our Customers' experience, and are constantly looking to improve. The modelling of sentiment data in a way that enables us to effectively manage the skills and training requirements across our support teams will help to ensure we’re staying one step ahead.
Did we mention that we are growing quickly? With rapid growth, comes interesting challenges in managing inventory, so establishing a forecasting model in support of stock management to programmatically drive order behaviour is key to enabling success within our Supply Chain & Fulfilment area.
IDEAL CANDIDATE | WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR?
- An experienced Data Scientist with a history of working in a growth-focused or technology organisation, ideally working together or collaborating with the customer support/success team, data teams and other business stakeholders.
- Comfortable with a variety of Data Analytics tools and platforms from cloud platform databases, SQL, Python, R and front-end tools e.g. Looker, Tableau and Mixpanel. We use Redshift and Looker extensively in this environment.
- Proven track record in creating and deployment of Data Science initiatives.
- Experience with Data Science frameworks; Scikit-learn, XGBoost, Facebook Prophet, PyTorch and with Time Series Forecasting.
- A strong analytical thinker with a penchant for problem solving and track record of delivering results from deployed solutions, which create business relevant insights.
- Degree in Comp Sci/ Applied Maths / Maths / Stats is encouraged (strong work experience can fill this gap)
- 5+ years in a Data Scientist role.
- Experience with building and deploying models for forecasting and workforce capacity management.
- Proven track record in creating and deploying Data Science initiatives with experience deploying code suitable for production.
- Experience working with engineers, business and data teams to solve complex problems
- Strong analytical experience with ability to provide recommendations, answer questions and provide insights to maximise the value of data across the business.
- Experienced in Python, R and SQL.
Bonus points/nice to have:
- Experience with Salesforce CRM
- Experience with Looker
THE YOCO FORMULA - HOW WE CREATE VALUE
The Yoco formula is a validated approach to work and a set of behaviours that create maximum value for our customers and help us grow.
Core Values - Our way of working to create value & grow
- Stay Connected
- Make Space to Explore
- Keep it Simple
- Master your Craft
Leadership Principles - How we show up, engage & treat each other
- Get to know each other personally
- Say what you think and challenge me directly
- Be courageous and focus forward
- Don’t let ego get in the way
To support this, we have built a role-based organisation where every individual is given the space to focus and develop their innate strengths. Everyone at Yoco has the opportunity to lead a project and become a specialist, enabling flexibility, collaboration and accountability at all levels. You will be working with a diverse, motivated and skilled team who will continuously stretch you as an individual. To learn more about our culture, go to our #YocoLife page or subscribe to our Exposure Gallery
Join us on a meaningful journey at Yoco, and help enable our merchants to thrive through Open Commerce!
Yoco encourages applicants from diverse backgrounds to apply. Open positions at Yoco are competitive and we often receive high volumes of applicants. If you have not received further updates on your application after three weeks, you’re welcome to request feedback.