South Africa (Remote)
Yoco is on a mission to help the businesses of tomorrow get started, and get paid – be a part of the team that changes financial services in Africa. Curious. Data-driven. Purposeful. Sound like you? It sounds a lot like us too.
We are an African technology company made up of over 200 team members globally. All with a bias for boldness, and a passion for simple, progressive solutions.
Founded in 2015, Yoco is now the payments provider for over 150 000 business owners and consistently processes over R1 billion in transactions each month.
We are looking for an exceptionally talented attorney with experience in the financial services and technology industry to join our legal team.
Yoco operates within a complex and interwoven legal & regulatory (soon to be global!) fintech environment. This candidate will be providing business-oriented advice across a spectrum of issues and work cross-functionally across various teams, including commercial, product and risk & regulatory. Resilience in the face of change and uncertainty and the ability to quickly build strong and trusted relationships within the organisation will be key to success in this role.
Join us to help scale our legal team to support our extraordinary journey of growth at Yoco.
ROLE | WHAT YOU WILL BE DOING?
- Draft, review and negotiate commercial contracts, including supplier and partnership agreements
- Develop and maintain contract management to support scalable contracting
- Build out a framework to record and maintain IP registers across the group
- Consult with Product teams on development of new service offerings and revising our terms & conditions accordingly
- Advise our Brand teams regarding marketing campaigns and other related matters
- Assist our Risk team in handling Merchant disputes and other related matters
- Provide guidance and support to our People team in areas including international hiring and employee share plans
- Identify and evaluate business and legal risks, with a problem-solving orientation, distill complexity and delivery of practical, risk-based solutions
- Manage relationships with external advisors on various matters relating to, for example, IP & technology, tax & employment
IDEAL CANDIDATE | WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR?
Key requirements to perform responsibilities:
- A university degree in law
- At least years post-qualification practicing in a law firm or in-house experience
- Experience in a wide variety of commercial, licensing and other technology related agreements with a focus on payments or financial services
- Broad general knowledge on consumer law, IP and data protection and good judgement regarding when expert advice is needed
- Exceptional communication, writing and drafting skills
- Excellent organisational skills and proven ability to put in place systems and process for efficiency and scale
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to collaborate with senior management and cross functional stakeholders
- Ability to effectively manage and advance a large number of often changing (and sometimes competing) priorities in a fast-paced and rapidly-evolving environment
- Thrive in “the grey” (i.e. ambiguity and imperfect information) and proactively solve for business need in a collaborative way
- High degree of autonomy and accountability
- A team-oriented style but an independent worker
- Curiosity for technology and payments
- History of advising (tech) startups on structuring their products and services
- Experience developing and/or running processes for scale in a legal function
- Experience working at a high growth and/or global company
THE YOCO FORMULA - HOW WE CREATE VALUE
The Yoco formula is a validated approach to work and a set of behaviours that create maximum value for our customers and help us grow.
Core Values - Our way of working to create value & grow
- Stay Connected
- Make Space to Explore
- Keep it Simple
- Master your Craft
Leadership Principles - How we show up, engage & treat each other
- Get to know each other personally
- Say what you think and challenge me directly
- Be courageous and focus forward
- Don’t let ego get in the way
To support this, we have built a role-based organisation where every individual is given the space to focus and develop their innate strengths. Everyone at Yoco has the opportunity to lead a project and become a specialist, enabling flexibility, collaboration and accountability at all levels. You will be working with a diverse, motivated and skilled team who will continuously stretch you as an individual. To learn more about our culture, go to our #YocoLife page or subscribe to our Exposure Gallery
Join us on a meaningful journey at Yoco, and help enable our merchants to thrive through Open Commerce!
Yoco encourages applicants from diverse backgrounds to apply. Open positions at Yoco are competitive and we often receive high volumes of applicants. If you have not received further updates on your application after three weeks, you’re welcome to request feedback.