Please note that as this is a remote based position, we are open to applications from candidates based throughout the UK and EMEA region.
Yoco is on a mission to help the businesses of tomorrow get started, and get paid – be a part of the team that changes financial services in Africa.
Curious. Data-driven. Purposeful. Sound like you? It sounds a lot like us too.
We are an African technology company made up of over 200 team members globally. All with a bias for boldness, and a passion for simple, progressive solutions. Founded in 2015, Yoco is now the payments provider for over 150 000 business owners and consistently processes over R1 billion in transactions each month.
Your home team at Yoco:
Yoco's engineering team is scaling rapidly to support the ambitions of the company. You will be a part of a close-knit, exceptionally talented team of engineers. Our engineers work in cross-functional teams gathered around missions, with a strong focus on aligning the right skills with the right problems and the right leaders to support them.
Yoco favours strongly autonomous thinkers, and encourages and supports skill development.
As an Engineering Manager, you will probably manage between 10 to 15 engineers. Your primary responsibility is to serve as a catalyst in their career, enabling them to become a better version of themselves and walk with them the path of growth (for the grand majority) through our Career Progression Framework - depending on your background and experience - you will also contribute to the success of our products and technologies, either by working very directly with Product Managers, Architecture Owners or Tech Leads
What we're looking for:
- At least 2 years of experience managing Engineers
- Dealt with salary reviews and increases.
- Worked growing Engineers on a path of progression.
- Had previous experience designing systems, coding and is still comfortable having those discussions.
- Working experience with product managers and been exposed to delivering features to customers.
- Managed recognition and contributed to team culture
- A few years of professional experience as a software developer
- Exceptional problem-solving skills
- A proven passion for all things software (and some hardware)
- Strong ability to work independently while still being collaborative and inclusive
- Proven ability in taking a feature, task or product all the way from conception to completion and release
- Ability to build re-usable solutions that others can use to avoid re-inventing the wheel every time.
- BSc Computer Science or equivalent is encouraged (strong work experience can fill this gap)
Nice, but not necessary:
Experience managing and/or leading teams technically (Tech Lead)
Experience guiding junior developers to help you deliver solutions or help them grow and deliver solutions.
Experience with SDK development and distribution
Knowledge of multiple programming languages
Experience designing and architecting products
What makes working at Yoco great:
Yoco is a business built on an agile foundation, and an evolving base of core lessons and principles. We like to refer to these as the Yoco Formula.
The Yoco Formula - how we create value
The Yoco formula is a validated approach to work, and a set of behaviours that create maximum value for our customers and help us grow.
Core Values - Our way of working to create value & grow
- Stay Connected
- Make Space to Explore
- Keep it Simple
- Master your Craft
Leadership Principles - How we show up, engage & treat each other
- Get to know each other personally
- Say what you think and challenge me directly
- Be courageous and focus forward
- Don’t let ego get in the way
To support this, we have built a role-based organisation where every individual is given the space to focus and develop their innate strengths. You will be working with a diverse, motivated and skilled team that will continuously stretch you as an individual. To learn more about our culture, go to our #YocoLife
page or subscribe to our Exposure Gallery.
Join us on a meaningful journey at Yoco, and help enable our merchants to thrive through Open Commerce!