UX Writer - Product
South Africa (Remote)
Please note that as this is a remote based position, we are open to applications from candidates based throughout the UK and EMEA region.
Yoco is here to open up commerce. We are an African technology company that builds tools and services to help small businesses get paid, run their business better, and grow.
We have a part-time contract for a talented writer to work with our product team 15 hours a week.
As our resident writing expert, you’ll create clear, succinct and engaging copy in our distinctive brand tone. Your words will be in our apps, our products, their names, our blog posts and our strategy. You’ll design information hierarchies and content strategies, and help us pick just the right words to reassure people as they use our app to manage their money.
If you can take the complex and make it simple, you’re our person. You will be part of building products that make money simpler for over 130,000 small businesses in Africa. Learn a little bit more about how we work here, and check out a recent product we launched here.
IDEAL CANDIDATE | WHAT YOU WILL BE DOING:
- Work across our apps to write persuasive, compelling copy that makes the complicated sound intriguing and the simple sound smart.
- Turn financial and technology jargon into accessible language.
- Help us work through information architecture and hierarchies, and name things.
- Edit blog posts and other long-form writing, using clear writing and structure to reveal flaws in thinking and to suggest improvements.
- Be autonomous. You’ll collaborate with product designers, user experience experts, researchers and our brand and product marketing teams, but it’ll be up to you to prioritise and sequence work based on impact.
IDEAL CANDIDATE | WHAT ARE WE LOOKING FOR?
Yoco encourages applications from people with diverse backgrounds. We value inclusive working practices and diverse teams. If you’d prefer to work part-time or as a job-share, we’ll facilitate this wherever we can. If you need adjustments to our interview process, please let us know.
- You can demonstrate an exceptional, diverse portfolio of work that spans both long and short form writing, ideally in plain language. You have created copy for successful software applications and websites.
- You are someone who loves words and wields them well. Storytelling is your forte, yet you appreciate brevity and can make things simple.
- You can flex your writing and adjust your language and tone based on medium and audience.
- You’re anti-jargon and corporate speak. You are a champion for great writing practices with the rest of the team and organisation.
- You are a strong presenter who can articulate ideas clearly and passionately; not just on the page, but also in person.
- You have an irreverent sense of humour.
Nice to have
- You own or have owned a small business, and get the daily entrepreneurial hustle.
- You can speak and write proficiently in more than one language spoken in Africa.
THE YOCO FORMULA - HOW WE CREATE VALUE
Our approach to work is a set of behaviours to create maximum value for our customers and help us evovle.
Core Values - our way of working to create value and grow
- Stay Connected
- Make Space to Explore
- Keep it Simple
- Master your Craft
Leadership Principles - how we show up, engage & treat each other
- Get to know each other personally
- Say what you think and challenge me directly
- Be courageous and focus forward
- Don’t let ego get in the way
Every individual is given the space to focus on and develop their innate strengths. Everyone at Yoco has the opportunity to lead a project and become a specialist, enabling flexibility, collaboration, and accountability at all levels. You will be working with a diverse, motivated, and skilled team who will continuously stretch you as an individual. To learn more about our culture, go to our #YocoLife page or subscribe to our Exposure Gallery.
Open positions at Yoco are competitive and we often receive high volumes of applicants. If you have not received further updates on your application after three weeks, you’re welcome to request feedback.