User Researcher - quantitative & qualitative
South Africa (Remote)
Please note that as this is a remote based position, we are open to applications from candidates based throughout the UK and EMEA region.
The Customer Insight team is responsible for bringing new knowledge of small business owners into Yoco which informs decision making on a product and strategic level.
To do this, our work can be broad and generative, such as helping to validate if we should enter a new market; or deep and specific to a particular product as it evolves over time.
You will not only have a hand in deeply understanding a problem or opportunity but will also play an integral role in the practical application of these insights.
- Respond to the immediate needs of internal teams for customer insights.
- Tailor your qualitative and/or quantitative approach to suit the situation while maintaining the integrity of the research.
- Frame and execute qualitative and/or quantitative research using a variety of methodologies.
- Get hands-on in gathering primary data as well as leveraging existing data and knowledge.
- Take ownership of (key stages of) the research process over the course of a project.
- Work with teams to create a shared understanding of insights and how they can be applied.
- Work in cross-functional teams, with product managers, UX and product designers, to let new insights directly inform the teams' work.
Your obsession for customers helps raise the bar for customer-centricity
You are passionately contributing to building a customer-centric culture across Yoco. You work together with your team to raise the bar on user research and drive customer-centric thinking across the business and you help teams across the organisation build empathy for our customers.
- Bring in new research methodologies and ways of thinking.
- Support your team member through continuous feedback.
- Help build a shared understanding of their needs and contexts.
- Work with teams across the business to engage with users when (re)designing processes, touch points, or communication.
This position requires someone who is deeply curious about people, able to connect the dots between what customers do, say and think, a team player, and a skilled communicator. They have a toolbox of research methodologies at their disposal but are particularly skilled in the application of these insights to the product development cycle.
- At least 2 years of user research experience in a startup, corporate or agency environment, within the innovation or product development space. Our ideal user researcher has substantial qualitative and quantitative research experience, but particularly excels in one.
- 3 Year Bachelor’s degree from a recognised University in the fields of business, design, social sciences or data analytics.
- Experienced in ethnographic interview techniques, meeting people where they are, and understanding the value of in-context research to product development and product strategy.
- A deep understanding of quantitative research methods, from surveys to A/B testing and experimentation to gather deep insights into user behaviour.
- Able to intuitively select the right methodology and adapt it to answer the research question on hand - developing the approach over time and bringing in innovative and smarter ways of conducting research.
- Strong ability to synthesise data gathered from primary research and identify themes, trends and patterns. Able to turn this into models and frameworks to bring new knowledge into the business.
- Naturally able to collaborate with internal stakeholders leveraging strong communication, written documentation, and facilitation skills.
- Able to effectively engage with a diverse range of research participants, adapting your approach to be inclusive and accessible.
- A basic understanding of UX and product design principles and how insights are used by these disciplines.
- Able to work remotely with flexibility to frequently travel when this is once again possible.
Bonus points/nice to have:
- Experience in FinTech or SME services environment.
- CX or UX design training or experience, in the digital or physical world.
- Fluent in additional South African languages.
- Formal qualitative research education (eg. Anthropology) or quantitative research education.
THE YOCO FORMULA - HOW WE CREATE VALUE
The Yoco formula is a validated approach to work and a set of behaviours that create maximum value for our customers and help us grow.
Core Values - Our way of working to create value & grow
- Stay Connected
- Make Space to Explore
- Keep it Simple
- Master your Craft
Leadership Principles - How we show up, engage & treat each other
- Get to know each other personally
- Say what you think and challenge me directly
- Be courageous and focus forward
- Don’t let ego get in the way
To support this, we have built a role-based organisation where every individual is given the space to focus and develop their innate strengths. Everyone at Yoco has the opportunity to lead a project and become a specialist, enabling flexibility, collaboration and accountability at all levels. You will be working with a diverse, motivated and skilled team who will continuously stretch you as an individual. To learn more about our culture, go to our #YocoLife page or subscribe to our Exposure Gallery
Join us on a meaningful journey at Yoco, and help enable our merchants to thrive through Open Commerce!
Yoco encourages applicants from diverse backgrounds to apply. Open positions at Yoco are competitive and we often receive high volumes of applicants. If you have not received further updates on your application after three weeks, you’re welcome to request feedback.